HOUSE AND CONTENTS
Your home represents a substantial investment; any loss or damage can be devastating and costly. We are here to help you, should a loss occur. Here are some tips that you can follow in order to prepare for the unexpected:
- Make certain that all the documents for your home (Certificate of Title or Transport, recent valuation, current power of attorney, etc.) are kept in a safe place.
- Maintain an up-to-date home inventory and keep it in a safe, accessible place in the event you need to file a claim. A home inventory is a detailed list of everything in your home and should include:
- Description of each item
- Serial number
- Purchase date
- Purchase price or estimated value
To make the process easier:
- Physically walk around the house and build your list
- Take pictures and store them electronically
- Save your receipts!
- Have jewellery items appraised periodically. The value of precious metals and gemstones is constantly changing.
- Review the replacement cost for your buildings and contents on an annual basis to ensure that they are adequately insured. Any improvements to buildings and other structures will result in an increase in value of your home. This also applies to the acquisition of additional personal belongings. You should inform your insurer of these improvements and additions.
Claim for Building Damage
Here is what you need to submit when filing a claim:
- Complete a GTM Property Claim Form and submit it to us as soon as possible after the incident along with any pictures taken.
- Obtain an estimate from a repairer /contractor of your choice as soon as possible.
- We will need to inspect the damage and approve the estimate before you commence repairs.
Claim for Contents
- Complete a GTM Property Claim Form and submit it to us as soon as possible.
- Make a list of all property damaged. Use your home inventory as a reference or guide to make sure that what you are claiming for is insured.
Claims for Burglary or Housebreaking
- Notify the police immediately. Take care not to touch or remove damaged items until the police arrive.
- Secure the premises to prevent further loss.
- Take pictures of any evidence of forcibly entry or exit from the premises.
- Make a list of all property damaged and stolen, Use your home inventory as a reference or guide to make sure that what you are claiming for is insured.
For assistance, please contact our Claims Department at 784-456-1537 or a GTM Office nearest you.